9.10.2007

Could be read as a Soap Box

Tomorrow is a day to remember in our nation's history. When I was a kid, I remember grown ups starting sentences with "when I was a kid". And, I would think to myself, "Oh Lord, here we go again..." I remember my grandparents, great aunts and uncles, and parents telling me how they lived through the Great Depression, World War II, or The Vietnam War - all the big things that I was reading in my history books at the time - Watergate and JFK and so on. They would comment on how it was different reading of it in a school text book than it was when they lived it out in their lives.

I think now I understand what they meant. Six years later, I'm sure 9/11 has made it into our children's history books. And, on one hand, it seems like a lifetime ago that we were all glued to our television sets watching the news clips over and over again. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like it has been six years already! People have mixed emotions over the war in Iraq and yahda yahda yahda. Regardless of how you feel about the war on terror, tomorrow is a day to remember and honor all the lives we've lost both in the Twin Towers and because of the Twin Towers.

I hope you will fly a flag tomorrow to show your dedication to our heroes and to our great nation! Whether you choose to hang a flag on your house, on your car, or in a window doesn't matter. It's really just the symbol that matters. Plus, it will make you feel fantastic to do it. And, let's honor our troops who are fighting a war to ensure our safety at home. While you are hanging your flag tomorrow, take a minute (or more!) to say a prayer for the soldiers who put on a uniform and travel so many miles away from home to protect us so that we don't have to be our own militia fighting a battle right here on our soil. They deserve our prayers and support everyday but, I know it's easy to forget that. So tomorrow let's remember them. If you think about it, what a great way to start your day!

This public service announcement brought to you by Ginger Young

1 comment:

Johnny and Claire Brown said...

Amen, preach it sister! Great post!